September 22, 2011

"Suzanne" 1976


How is it, do you suppose, that "Suzanne" became my favorite lullaby?

Is that even what I mean, favorite?  It was the most natural of lullabies. When I rocked my first grandchild, I sang this song over and over to him.  Eventually, I heard myself, and the only sense it made was muscle memory:  the memory of singing it to my own first baby, and the song, like the baby, being bone of my bone, blood of my blood, and from then passed along to every baby I touched. 

"Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water, and he spent a long time looking for that lonely wooden harbor  . . ." * What are those lyrics but love speaking its own name? 

And "she feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China" -- that, too, is love singing its own lullaby to you.

Lullaby, and good night.  Speak peace. Be peace.

No comments: