December 7, 2010

Writing an Artist Statement

I started working on an artist statement a few weeks ago, and this is how far I've gotten:

Mary Cartledgehayes is an ecological assemblage artist who works primarily with castoffs, fiber, and fixatives.


Good start, huh?  I'm telling you this because I want to show you some more of the castoffs I've found, and I thought I needed a proper artist statement to cover the dumpster diving -- although these days if you aren't dumpster diving you aren't green.


I'd like to put together a research project surrounding materials in local dumpsters, but so far I'm relying on random observations, which in the global pollution mess is better than no observations.  Around here we have weeks that seem assigned to certain objects.  For instance, we had the Week of the Couch, when I dsaw 5 or 6 couches in the ten closest dumpsters.  Another week it was outdoor grills -- 4 or 5 of those.  Plastic storage containers are a staple, as are -- somebody explain this to me -- small trash cans.
This piece is my favorite.  It appears to be the wire frame for what was once a very large urn or container of some sort for flowers -- at least that's the story we're sticking to until someone comes up with a better idea.


 I dearly love this piece (thus the many photographs) and think it has enormous potential.
In the meantime, it's simply enormous and living on the patio.

No comments: