August 27, 2010

Kentucky State Fair - Christmas trees, crafted dolls, and colons


This was the big winner for Large Decorated Christmas Tree up to 6 feet high. It's a police tree, with a car and police station underneath, red and blue lights on the white tree, and an assortment of a dozen or so ornaments in the shape of policeman -- one looked like a Christopher Radko blown glass, one was made from that Fimo clay stuff, and the rest were a variety, including a Santa policeman.

The photo below is from Division 4312, Handmade Dolls or Toys

In person, she really rocks.  She's an adult woman in jeans living life to the fullest.  I think the technique for her was felting.
Not only does the fair feature expansive exhibit halls showing the work and possessions of Kentuckians, but various organizations also have booths.  Every county was, as far as I could see, represented.  I saw the army, the national guard, the air force, and the FBI, which was giving away a prize.

"What prize are you giving away?" I asked. 

The person behind the table pointed to a pair of bicycles.  Hmmm.  Don't know what I expected:  handcuffs, maybe?  A shoulder holster?  A blank signed search warrant?  Anyhow, apparently they're hiringg.  Division of Fish and Wildlife had a huge booth and had various pelts, including two from the non-native phythons in Florida that have taken to eating pets and pigs and whatever else they want, because there are no natural predators for pythons in Florida.  They'll be lucky if they don't end up like Guam, where the brown snake (an inadvertent consequence of the vast number of combat planes arriving with stowaways during World War II)has consumed virtually every species of bird to extinction.

Health agencies also sponsor booths, and my favorite was the one with the walk-in colon. 

It's not every day that you get the chance to see one of those; I hope it eases the minds of people so they'll schedule a first routine colonoscopy at age 50.  Polyps in the colon often develop into cancer; in the course of a routine colonoscopy, surgeons remove any polyps, thus preventing cancer before it can take hold.  Just as important as mammograms, colonoscopies save lives.  Preparation the day before is a bit ickier, but they gave me fabulous drugs and I don't remember anything except a peaceful darkened room, the doctor at the computer across the room, and the helpful anesthesiologist.  Next thing I knew, I was waking up; I missed the whole getting dressed and Michael driving me home adventure, but I remember that I slept the rest of the day.  And my doctor was a genius; she made it clear that she could handle any potential problems.

No comments: