June 8, 2010

Smithsonian National Postal Museum


I became a fan of Smithsonian National Postal Museum on facebook a few months ago. To celebrate the opening of a recent exhibit, they randomly drew names of ten people to get "a year's set of stamps" from them.  The package, when it arrived, was crammed full of goodies.  That "year's set of stamps" is a fabulous book, the cover of which I've posted above, filled with information, art, and photography related to each of the 2008 U. S. stamps, as well as one of each of the stamps.  It's a real treasure----

---but there's more.  I also got a notepad, a 2010 calendar, a set of postcards, and a brochure about becoming a member.  How can I not join, after their largesse? -- especially given my interest in all things postal, especially the all things postal that reach my mailbox.

I've read the brochure and for a mere $35 for individual, you get numerous benefits including a quarterly newsletter, a lapel pin, and the satisfaction of supporting the only constitutionally mandated business/service.  

In a fit of synchronicity, I've just checked their site and learned that today is the birthday of Charles Wickliffe, Postmaster General from 1841 to 1845, who was born in Springfield, Kentucky.  Wickliffe served as governor of Kentucky from 1839 to 1840; and here's a picture of him for your viewing pleasure:

No comments: