August 7, 2009

Knick knack paddy whack give a dog a bath--







When I visited South Carolina recently, Mary Flowers and her husband, Jim, gave Polo a bath. Polo's quite the dog. He's ancient and won awards for grouchiness for years. This trip, though, every time he saw me he wiggled and wagged and bounced up for a pat on the head. Mary said he's feeling better since he started taking glucosamine; he had some horrendous meet-ups with big dogs in his early years that left him with joint issues, and the glucosamine is helping with the pain and improving his disposition. On the other hand, I'm the only one to whom he responds like that. It's reverse imagery to the response of my daughter's dog Hoddie. When I visited last year, Hoddie, a blonde Chihuahua, had a yapping fit every time I came into the house, or spoke, or moved. Should have made Jennifer give her a bath. That would've hushed her up for ten minutes or so. (And of course I'm totally capable of making Jennifer do whatever I tell her . . .)


No comments: