July 23, 2008

Art for Breakfast



Gail Robinson of Oakland CA sent me this wonderful collage yesterday. But that's not all! She also sent a small collection of pretties that I can use in my own collaging -- AND an Artist Trading Card. I've read about and seen photos of and directions for ATCs for years, but this is the first time I've ever had one in my own hands. Lovely, lovely. (I tried scanning, but the subtlety of colors didn't pick up well.)

The story of ATCs is like the story of the postcard-sharing sites: a revelation about the desire to interact with both friends and strangers. The project began with one artist in Zurich in 1997 and has since become a global movement. According to the landmark website about ATCs, they are miniature works of art (2 1/2 x 3 1/2) -- "originals, small editions and, most importantly, self-produced" that are traded among artists. No judging takes place; no money changes hand. They are an act of artistic generosity.

I currently have materials for postcards (including numerous empty cereal boxes to be cut into 4 x 6 rectangles) spread through the living room. But ATCs are tiny. Maybe I can clear a few inches of space and give them a try.

No comments: