January 30, 2012

Art Project 52-4. The Sketchbook Project

 January 31 is the postmark date for The Sketchbook Project. I'm ahead of the game; my sketchbook is ready to go in the mail today.

I started late and was controlled by the instruction to stay dry:  "Your book should be finished at least 48 hours before mailing" to allow all of the paints and glues to dry.  I needed a quick-dry medium to begin with that would allow me to do a backgrounds without having to wait for each page to dry. Thus the decision to use colored felt-tip pens.

The pens weren't enough in themselves, which is why I added bits of photographs.  Somewhere in that process, I realized I needed to add text in order to make sense for other people of what was obvious to me.  That's the reason for the black lettering, which, in the best tradition of any kind of art, reached a conclusion that surprised  even me.

 WHO GAVE YOU PERMISSION TO SCRIBBLE LIKE THIS?
 WAS IT THE SUN, HURLING ITS GOLD UPON YOU?
 WAS IT THE ENDLESS NUMBER OF SHADES OF GREEN?
 WAS IT THE EAGLE,
 OR WAS IT THE EARTHWORM?
 WAS IT YOUR HEART, POUNDING, ROLLING LIKE A WHEEL ACROSS CONTINENTS AND TIME?
 WAS IT THE SHADOWS -------   OR THE RULES?
 PERHAPS PERMISSION CAME FROM THE STEADFAST AFFECTION OF OTHERS OR
 FROM YOUR OWN LOVE OF LANGUAGE AND OF
 COLOR.
 THE GREATER GOOD
 DEPENDS UPON -------- FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.
 MY BRITISH GRANDMOTHER SIGNED LETTERS XXXOOO.
 X. O.: STRUCTURES THAT BRIDGE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US.
 DID YOU ASK PERMISSION TO BUILD, TO SCRIBBLE, TO BE FREE,
 OR DID YOU CLAIM PERMISSION AS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT?

My sketchbook is one of 4,264 created by artists around the world.

No comments: