August 12, 2008

The Problem with Dishing Dirt

Although I was (mostly) joking in my July 26 post when I offered to sell Kentucky, Ohio, or South Carolina dirt, with the proceeds going to the Lake Erie Islands Black Swamp Conservancy, I can't really send you any dirt unless you live in the same geographic region that I do.

Why? Because we don't know what microorganisms I might be sending along with the dirt. I'm leery about contributing non-native species to your ecosystem. Granted, these would be microscopic, and they may well be in your area already, but neither of those realities matter. The greater reality is that American forests are under serious threat from non-native species.

With or without your approval or belief, global temperatures are rising, and one result will be more and more strangers sleeping in your (flower) bed.

No comments: