July 28, 2012

Hangin' with the Good Dogs

We escaped the heat of the city and spent two nights at the Murd House on Middle Bass Island, Ohio.

When we were children my sister, Amy, and I wandered through Bretz's pasture one day looking for wildflowers and ended up behind Mrs. Murd's house. Seeing no evidence of her presence, we climbed her mulberry tree so we could reach the few ripe mulberries. We weren't breaking any rules that we knew of; Mrs. Murd had allowed the picking of mulberries every time Mother asked her.

Imagine our surprise when Mrs. Murd appeared on the porch, yelling and waving a shotgun. Rather than approaching to tell her who we were, we escaped through the woods and scurried home.

No photo of the one-room island school house this trip, but I'm delighted to report that the tacky red paint has had its day in the sun.  The school is being repainted the historically correct white that's appropriate for the site where generations of island children learned to read.

As I write,the Hook, Line & Sinker auction is beginning in the Town Hall.  Mary Roesch and her committee did an astounding job of garnering donations for this event, by which they hope to raise $25,000 for the town hall, the fire department, and the hospice organization in Sandusky, Ohio.  Beautifully painted furniture, including a walleye chair with the island on the seat, is being auctioned off, as are paintings and beach-glass art and the bass drum that called 25+ years of island children to the Punch and Judy shows put on by my father.

Great trip, including conversations with people I hadn't seen in decades, fabulous food by Chef Elvis at the restaurant at Hazard's, and lots of time laughing at the dogs' enthusiasm for the sight and smell of bunnies.

4 comments:

Ann said...

What an amazing place to have grown up! Neat!

Mary Cartledgehayes said...

It was pretty fabulous, Ann. Isolated but beautiful, and my parents were serious readers, urbane, and interested in everything around them. A good setting for learning how to see.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the results of each item of the auction? I had an item there and had to leave before the result happened. Do you think they will let the people of the island know what item what for what bid?

Mary Cartledgehayes said...

Hi there! I don't know. I donated 5 items and had to leave early Wednesday, so I'm not sure what happens next. I'm hoping folks took photos at the auction so we can get a bit of information. Let me know if you hear anything, please! xxoo Mary Jo